Shell Catalysts & Technologies is the market’s leading EO/EG process licensor and EO catalyst producer, and a pioneer in the industry. For more than 50 years, we have led the industry in improving the performance and lifespan of EO catalysts. Over 50% of the world’s current EO production is manufactured using a Shell EO catalyst.
Using Shell EO/EG technology, refiners and petrochemical producers can:
- Optimize technology configuration to meet local market conditions
- Achieve a fast and smooth start-up
- Minimize the production of heavy-glycol by-products if desired
Two versions of the Shell Catalysts & Technologies EO/EG process are licensed:
- the Shell MASTER process, which is based on catalyst conversion of ethylene to EO and thermal conversion of EO to EG; and
- the Shell OMEGA process, which is based on catalyst conversion of both ethylene to EO and EO to EG.
Both the Shell MASTER process and the Shell OMEGA process are based on and optimized around the use of state-of-the-art Shell EO catalysts with high selectivity and high stability that has enabled many operators to achieve at least three years of operation between catalyst changes at an average catalyst selectivity of about 90%.
As every plant is tailor-made and tuned to customer wishes and local conditions and constraints, capital investment costs will vary from plant to plant. After plant start-up, Shell Catalysts & Technologies will continue to provide operational support. Process design studies relating to plant modifications or de-bottlenecking can also be accommodated.