Shell completes the Philippines’s first-ever batch of locally blended bitumen
Feb 5, 2019
Petroleum giant is the only bitumen supplier in the country with local manufacturing capability
Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corporation has started production at its new bitumen blending facility in Batangas, the Philippines. Shell is the only bitumen producer in the Philippines and now has capacity to supply both local and overseas markets. The ceremonial launch on December 3, 2018, was attended by key road contractors across the Philippines together with Shell senior leaders locally and Shell Bitumen regional leaders for Asia.
“Shell is now the only player in the Philippines with a local bitumen manufacturing facility. This facility adds to Shell’s strong regional network and will boost our supply reliability as we anticipate growth in demand for high quality bitumen not only in the Philippines but across the region”’ shared Thanes Rajatapiti, Shell Bitumen Regional General Manager for Asia.
Improved product quality and supplier reliability
Shell is one of the global leaders in bitumen technology with locally available technical assistance to support special project requirements with strong focus on safety and professional account management.
Its new local manufacturing capability helps ensure consistent product quality, which minimizes the chances of re-work on projects due to off-spec products. This translates to improved project output that fit the demands of their respective end users and supports the integrity and reliability of the contractors in getting the job done.
Improved supply reliability can also be expected due to the local production as it helps reduce the possibilities of stock-outs during high demand, minimising the likelihood of delays which is essential for critical projects. This gives customers more peace of mind with every project, big or small.
With the facility being fully operational, Pilipinas Shell now also offers the possibility of price risk management for contractors, helping them better manage their costs and have margin predictability amidst volatility in market prices
The country’s partner on the road to success
Shell Bitumen has been present in the Philippines for the past 15 years, working on key projects across the archipelago – from airports, to national highways, and other roads that benefit millions of Filipinos daily. With the recent facility upgrade, Shell further improves the quality and relevance of the products and services they offer to Filipino customers for many more years to come.
To know more about Shell Bitumen, visit www.shell.com/bitumen
About Shell Bitumen
- Shell is a leader in bitumen technology and currently holds 49 active patents linked to bitumen and asphalt. In 2017, Shell published the “Shell Bitumen Handbook, Sixth Edition”, which covers latest topics in bitumen technology and application.
- Shell operates its global bitumen R&D Centre in Bangalore, India. Shell Bitumen also operates a network of Regional Solution Centres located in strategic regions: Strasbourg (France), Bangkok (Thailand) and Shanghai (China).
- Shell is the world’s largest international bitumen marketer and delivers enough bitumen to help resurface 450 kilometres of road every day; enough to travel around the world four times in one year.
- Shell Bitumen’s solutions have been used on a number of Formula One racetracks: Sakhir (Bahrain), Sepang (Malaysia), Marina Bay Street Circuit (Singapore), Hockenheim (Germany) and Yas Marina (Abu Dhabi). Shell has also recently paved the Bugatti Circuit in LeMans, France in 2016.
- Shell supplies a wide range of high quality bitumen products, from standard-grade bitumen to special polymer-modified bitumen (PMB), which are marketed under the brand name Shell Cariphalte. Shell Cariphalte has been used in a number of iconic projects for applications such as highways, urban roads and porous asphalts for urban drainage systems. It is ideal for use in heavily trafficked locations such as airfields, racetracks and bus lanes. It can be particularly beneficial in heavy duty applications such as rail, ports, bridge decks, crack relief systems or overlaying concrete pavements and expansion joints.
You may also like
Browse our lubricants and find out which is best for your business through our expert advice, support, and case studies.
As your trusted energy partner, Shell Commercial Fuels provides expertise, insights and solutions to help you stay efficient and competitive, now and into the future.
With one of the most extensive refuelling networks in the world, Shell Aviation supplies fuel, lubricants, and sustainable solutions in more than 60 countries. Customers range from the world’s largest airlines to private pilots. We actively collaborate across the industry to deliver more sustainable solutions for aviation.