The new Centre will bring together all of Shell’s R&D staff in India, who used to work in separate locations in Bangalore and will also provide additional space for high-tech innovation and demonstration facilities. The Bitumen R&D team have relocated to this location.
By housing all R&D staff in one centre, the technology hub will create new opportunities for multidisciplinary collaboration, and drive relevant and affordable innovations.
“We are really excited to continue our Bitumen technology R&D work here in this new location. These new facilities with all teams in one location will give us access to many more new analytical techniques and ways of thinking which will allow us to understand bitumen at the atomic level in a way previously not possible and molecularly engineer the bitumens of the future.,” said John Read, General Manager for Shell Bitumen Technology.
Shell Technology Centre Bangalore is one of the three main technology hubs in the company’s global network of R&D centres, with the other two located in the Netherlands and the USA. More than 4,000 staff work at these hubs and smaller technical centres on a broad range of projects, such as turning natural gas into more efficient and cleaner fuels, developing affordable technologies to unlock energy thousands of metres below the sea surface, and R&D projects on low carbon technologies.
Notes to Editors
- Shell Bitumen also operates a network of Regional Solution Centres located in strategic regions: Strasbourg (France), Bangkok (Thailand) and Shanghai(China).
- Shell is a leader in bitumen technology, and recently published the “Shell Bitumen Handbook, Sixth Edition”, which covers the latest topics in bitumen technology and application. Shell currently holds 49 active patent series linked to bitumen and asphalt.
- Shell Bitumen’s solutions have also been used on a number of Formula One racetracks: Sakhir (Bahrain), Sepang (Malaysia), Marina Bay Street Circuit (Singapore), Hockenheim (Germany) and Yas Marina (Abu Dhabi). Most recently, Shell also provided bitumen solutions for the Bugatti Circuit in LeMans, France.
- Shell is the world’s largest international bitumen marketer, and delivers enough bitumen to pave a one-lane kilometre road every four minutes.
- Shell supplies a wide range of high quality bitumen products, from standard-grade bitumen to special polymer-modified bitumen (PMB), which are marketed under the brand name Shell Cariphalte. Shell Cariphalte has been used in a number of iconic projects for applications such as highways, urban roads and porous asphalts for urban drainage systems. It is ideal for use in heavily trafficked locations such as airfields, racetracks and bus lanes. It can be particularly beneficial in heavy duty applications such as rail, ports, bridge decks, crack relief systems or overlaying concrete pavements and expansion joints.
Shell Bitumen Global
+ 65 6477 7499
Shell Media Relations:
+44 (0) 20 7934 5550
Shell’s Global Technology Network
Shell Technology Centre Bangalore is one of three global technology hubs, alongside those in Houston, USA and Amsterdam, in the Netherlands. They form part of an integrated network of technology centres, which includes several smaller technical centres located close to our customers and other partners and provide tailored services.
Shell in India
Shell is one of the most diversified international oil companies in India's energy sector with more than 4,500 employees. It is a major private sector supplier of crude products, chemicals and technology to public and private sector oil companies. Shell maintains a significant presence in the country with its lubricants and retail businesses. Shell also has a technology centre, a financial business operations centre, an in-house global IT centre and operates a joint venture liquefied natural gas receiving and re-gasification terminal. Through its subsidiary company BG Exploration and Production India Limited, Shell holds a 30% interest in, and is joint operator of, the Panna - Mukta oil and gas fields and the Mid and South Tapti gas and condensate fields (PMT fields). Shell also holds a 32.5% equity stake in Mahanagar Gas Limited (MGL). MGL has to its credit the distinction of pioneering the natural gas distribution network in Mumbai and its neighboring areas.
Royal Dutch Shell plc
Royal Dutch Shell plc is incorporated in England and Wales, has its headquarters in The Hague and is listed on the London, Amsterdam, and New York stock exchanges. Shell companies have operations in more than 70 countries and territories with businesses including oil and gas exploration and production; production and marketing of liquefied natural gas and gas to liquids; manufacturing, marketing and shipping of oil products and chemicals and renewable energy projects. For further information, visit www.shell.com