About Shell Marine Products
Shell has been in the forefront of marine technology for over a century and has developed industry-changing products and services that have pushed the technology envelop in marine lubrication.
Shell Marine Products (SMP) is a global business that supplies lubricants and technical support services to the international marine industry. Its main offices are in Singapore, London, Shanghai and Houston.
We have an extensive portfolio of application-based lubricants, each designed to address the specific challenge of achieving optimum performance. We offer a comprehensive product portfolio over 500 ports across 40 countries.
From diesel-engine cylinder oils to specialist greases, we produce these products via our global network of over 30 lubricant blending plants, ensuring security of supply. Our distributor network also provides the local flexibility and responsiveness that many customers need.
Our business is built on strong customer relationships, and we work tirelessly to maintain our reputation for excellent customer service.
Companies working with Shell Marine Products benefit from its global network of local experts. These specialists help customers develop, implement and maintain effective lubrication programmes for every piece of equipment in their fleet. Over 10,000 vessels currently enjoy the benefits of our high quality products.
- Shell Marine Products also provides technical services at these ports, advising ship operators of how they can optimize their operations when using its products across all types of machinery and equipment on a ship.
- Shell Rapid Lubricants Analysis (RLA) - an oil analysis service that gives ship managers and operators vital information and advice on the condition of their machinery and the performance of their lubricants
- Shell Rapid Lubricants Onboard Alert - your fast, user-friendly solution to onboard oil condition monitoring
- Shell Lube Monitor - lubricant optimization services, where Shell works with its customers to design a lubrication feed-rate that provides optimal value.
- Shell Rapid Lubricants Onboard Plus - Onboard oil condition monitoring tools
- Engine inspection and troubleshooting, where Shell technicians will personally inspect and resolve lubrication issues in customers’ vessel engines and equipment
A Leader in Marine Technology
Shell has been undertaking lubrication research continuously since 1940 – a strong track record in lubricants innovation stretching back more than 70 years.
Shell’s research shows that fuel economy can be improved by up to two per cent by using the most suitable quality lubricant for an engine. Further savings can be achieved when the lubricants provider and the equipment manufacturer work together to develop bespoke products for a specific vehicle.
Dedicated To Marine Research and Development
The Shell Group invests more than USD1.3 billion every year in research and development and employs more than 8000 technical experts including dedicated marine lubricant scientist who work at our Marine Power and Innovation Centre in Hamburg, Germany dedicated to developing innovative products such as Shell Alexia S4.
Engines installed at the Shell Marine & Power Innovation Centre (MPIC) in Hamburg are used to simulate harsh running conditions, enabling us to put our products through the most rigorous of tests. For instance, a typical test sequence on the new Shell Alexia S4 lubricant comprised 4,000 hours of trials, with inspections and analysis at 2000-hour intervals, in addition to lubricant and fuel sampling every 250 or 500 hours.