For Europe participants
If you are a participant in Shell Eco-marathon Europe, find all you need to know below!
Shell Eco-marathon Europe 2020 runs under two sets of rules: Shell Eco-marathon Global Rules 2020, Chapter I and Shell Eco-marathon Europe 2020 Rules, Chapter II:
- The Shell Eco-marathon Global Rules 2020, Chapter I contain all technical rules and specifications for teams to build their vehicle. It also includes information about the On-track and Off-track Awards.
- The Shell Eco-marathon Europe 2020 Rules, Chapter II contain details about safety, competition and the schedule of events. This document is specific to Shell Eco-marathon Europe. It will be available in due course.
The registration process for Shell Eco-marathon Europe is as follows:
- Phase 1: Vehicle Specifications (October 1– November 4, 2019)
- Phase 2: Technical information (November 15 – December 18, 2019)
- Phase 3a: Logistics (January 15 to June 1, 2020)
- Phase 3b: Off-track Award applications (February 10 to June 12, 2020)
Phase 1 and 2 are selection phases i.e. not every team that registers will be accepted. Phase 3a is mandatory but not a selection phase, and Phase 3b is optional.
Teams interested in participating in Shell Eco-marathon Europe should be aware of the following information:
- Only teams which have had a valid result at a Shell Eco-marathon event (regional or challenger) within the past three years will be considered.
- A maximum of two vehicles per institution may be considered, provided they fulfil both the following conditions:
- Both vehicles are competing in separate vehicle categories i.e. one is a UrbanConcept and one is a Prototype
- Both vehicles are competing in different energy classes e.g. an ICE vehicle and a Battery Electric vehicle or Hydrogen. A Gasoline and a Diesel vehicle are NOT of different energy classes although they are different energy types
- A team must consist of a maximum of 20 team members including the team manager.
- Student participants must be:
- At least 16 years of age on the first day of the competition. 14 and 15-year olds may be allowed if appropriate safety and supervision plans are agreed with the Organiser.
- Enrolled in the institution at the time of the event.
- The team manager must be able to speak and understand English as he/she will be coordinating with the organisers throughout the event.
- Each team is responsible for all other costs and expenses associated with participating in the event i.e. travel from home country to event venue and back, building and freighting cost for vehicle, hotel/accommodation, etc.
Location and Track
The competition will take place in the UK. Further details about the venue and track will be shared once available.
What if you have more questions?
Shell Eco-marathon Asia will take place at the Sepang International Circuit, Selangor, Malaysia, from 1 – 5 June, 2020
Shell Eco-marathon Americas will take place at Sonoma Raceway, California, US, from April 1 – 4, 2020