Shell Eco-marathon Americas 2020 runs under two sets of rules: Shell Eco-marathon Global Rules 2020, Chapter I and Shell Eco-marathon Americas 2020 Rules, Chapter II:
- The Shell Eco-marathon Global Rules 2020, Chapter I contain all technical rules and specifications for teams to build their vehicle. It also includes information about the On-track and Off-track Awards.
- The Shell Eco-marathon Americas 2020 Rules, Chapter II contain details about safety, competition and the schedule of events. This document is specific to Shell Eco-marathon Americas and will be available to download in due course.
- Teams must also refer to the Shell Eco-marathon Americas 2020 Participant Handbook for specific details on logistics for the event, such as accommodation, shipping, food and parking. This document will be available to download in due course.
The registration process for Shell Eco-marathon Americas is as follows:
- Phase 1, Vehicle Specifications: September 12, 2019 – October 30, 2019
- Phase 2, Technical information: November 7, 2019 – December 17, 2019
- Phase 3a, Logistics: December 17, 2019 – February 28, 2020
- Phase 3b, Off-track Award application: TBA
Phase 1 and 2 are selection phases i.e. not every team that registers will be accepted. Phase 3a is mandatory but not a selection phase, and Phase 3b is optional.
Teams interested in participating in Shell Eco-marathon Americas should be aware of the following information:
- A team must consist of a maximum of 20 team members including the team manager. There should be a maximum of one faculty advisor.
- Participants must be enrolled in a school or institution at the time of the event.
- The team manager should be able to speak and understand English as he/she will be coordinating with the organisers throughout the event.
- Each team is responsible for all other costs and expenses associated with participating in the event i.e. travel from home country to the competition venue and back, building and freighting cost for vehicle, hotel/accommodation, etc.
Teams must register on the Shell Eco-marathon registration website.