Our strategy is to strengthen our position as a leading energy company by providing oil, gas and low-carbon energy as the world’s energy system changes. Safety and social responsibility are fundamental to how we do business.
In February 2016, Shell completed the acquisition of BG Group, adding significantly to our activities in liquefied natural gas (LNG) worldwide as well as deep-water oil and gas production in Brazil.
Shell’s strategy is now centred on creating a simpler company, one that delivers higher, more predictable returns and growing free cash flow per share. By investing in compelling projects, driving down costs and selling non-core businesses, we are reshaping Shell into a more resilient and focused company.
Our strategy is founded on our outlook for the energy sector as well as the chance to grasp the opportunities arising from the substantial changes in the world.
A growing global population and a rise in living standards are likely to continue to drive energy demand, including oil and gas, for years to come. At the same time, technological changes and the need to tackle climate change means there is a transition under way to a lower-carbon, multi-source energy system with increasing customer choice. We recognise that the pace and specific path forward is uncertain and so requires agile decision making.
Against this backdrop, we have three strategic ambitions guiding us in the pursuit of our purpose:
- to provide a world-class investment case. This involves growing free cash flow and increasing returns, all built upon a strong financial framework and resilient portfolio;
- to thrive in the energy transition by responding to society’s desire for more and cleaner, convenient and competitive energy; and
- to sustain a strong societal licence to operate and contribute to society through a shared value approach to our activities.
- Thrive in the energy transition
- World-class investment case
- Strong license to operate