Our strategy is to strengthen our position as a leading energy company by providing oil, gas and low-carbon energy as the world’s energy system changes. We will continue to sustain our Upstream businesses while growing our customer-facing businesses. Safety, ethical behaviours, compliance and social responsibility are fundamental to how we do business.
With the acquisition of BG Group in February 2016, we have created a simpler company, one that delivers higher, more predictable returns and growing free cash flow per share. By investing in compelling projects, driving down costs and selling non-core businesses, we have reshaped Shell into a more resilient and focused company.
We continue to transform our company, ensuring that our portfolio is well positioned for the future of energy. Our ambition is to reduce the Net Carbon Footprint of the energy products that we sell. Our strategy is set against several global trends. A growing population and rising living standards are likely to continue to significantly increase energy demand for years to come. While the world needs to find a way to meet this growing demand, CO2 emissions need to fall to counter climate change. We recognise that the pace and specific path forward is uncertain and so requires agile decision making.
Against this backdrop, we have three strategic ambitions guiding us in the pursuit of our purpose:
- to provide a world-class investment case. This involves growing free cash flow and increasing returns generation, all built upon a strong financial framework and resilient portfolio;
- to thrive in the energy transition by responding to society’s desire for more and cleaner, convenient and competitive energy; and
- to sustain a strong societal licence to operate and contribute to society through a shared value approach to our activities.
- Thrive in the energy transition
- World-class investment case
- Strong license to operate