Shell Naturelle lubricants are designed for a wide range of conditions and application types, including hydraulics, gears, greases, transformer fluids and more. These products are especially suitable for industries that operate in environmentally sensitive areas, such as marine, forestry and agriculture.
All Shell Naturelle products are designed to be environmentally acceptable lubricants (EALs):
- formulated using base fluids with a high degree of biodegradability.
- using additive systems with very low ecotoxity, that do not bioaccumulate.
- plus a well-balanced technical performance profile.
These properties minimise any negative impact resulting from accidental leaks or spills on water or land.
Mandatory and voluntary usage of EALs like Shell Naturelle is increasing
- Marine, construction and mining industries face increasing scrutiny and pressure to reduce their environmental impact - EALs have a role to play.
- EALs are a natural fit with the growing renewable energy sector, with applications across wind, solar and hydro power.
- Legislation is another driver of EAL adoption. For example, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s VGP (Vessel General Permit) 2013 was put in place to prevent harmful lubricant discharges and the resulting impact on U.S waterways. Substances that end up in waterways can have detrimental effects on aquatic life if they bioaccumulate - build up in plants and animals over time. This is detrimental to the ecosystems, as well as the people and businesses that rely on them for food and clean water. Biodegradable lubricants can remove this risk.
High-quality, trusted certifications such as the EU-Ecolabel can help consumers and businesses quickly and confidently identify lower impact lubrication solutions.
Shell Naturelle offers reliable, well-balanced performance and our highest standard in biodegradability and ecotoxicity.
The right biodegradable lubricants and ongoing monitoring can help extend equipment life and lower total cost of ownership.
What makes Shell Naturelle suitable for sensitive environments? Find out this and more.
More About Shell Lubricant Solutions
Explore our high quality lubricants and expert lubrication services designed to help create sustainable value for businesses.