Gasification is a clean, reliable and flexible way to create synthesis gas (syngas) from low-value feedstocks for the production of high-value products and power. Discover how Shell gasification technologies are delivering advantages for refiners, petrochemical companies and power generators.
Are you worried about diminishing fuel oil markets?
Do you need more hydrogen to maximise high-margin, ultra-low-sulphur-fuel yields?
Are you prevented from processing opportunity crudes by emission and residue concerns?
An integrated Shell Gasification Process unit can help you to:
- Improve product quality and value while reducing plant emissions;
- Produce hydrogen for processing today’s clean fuels;
- Adapt processing facilities as fuel oil demand diminishes;
- Reduce demand for natural gas;
- Use bottom-of-the-barrel oil for clean power, with the option of carbon dioxide for carbon capture and storage;
- Reduce operating costs through the production of high-pressure process steam; and
- Provide carbon dioxide for enhanced oil recovery.
Find out how integrating Shell Gasification technology could add value to your refinery complex.
- Are rising natural gas prices reducing your methanol–olefins margins?
- Do you have access to low-cost bottom streams such as heavy residue from refineries?
Petrochemical companies are using Residue Gasification Process to convert refinery residue to syngas for the production of ammonia, methanol, oxo-alcohols and other chemicals.
- Are you concerned about natural gas availability and price volatility?
- Do you have access to low cost refinery residue?
- Are you under pressure to cut emissions and improve local air quality?
- Do you want to diversify your energy mix?
Across the world, highly efficient Residue Gasification Process is converting liquid feedstocks to syngas for integrated gasification combined-cycle (IGCC) power generation.
Saudi Aramco is building the world’s largest residue gasification unit. Syngas from multiple residue gasifiers will generate up to 4 GW of electricity for the Jazan refinery and Saudi Arabian power grid through an IGCC plant.
The advantages of IGCC plants include:
- Lower natural gas dependence;
- Improved environment performance compared with traditional coal-burning plants through lower levels of:
- Heavy metals;
- Sulphur oxides; and
- Nitrogen oxides;
- The production of concentrated carbon dioxide for carbon capture and storage.
More in gasification licensing
The Shell Gasification Process (SGP) is a clean, efficient, reliable and proven technology. When integrated with other upgrading and treating technologies, it can convert a wide range of low-value refinery residues and asphaltenes into syngas for a variety of applications. Find out how we can help you to deliver bottom-of-the-barrel value.
Learn about our broad range of applications and products that are used in the Shell Gasification Process, helping to monetize refinery residues and heavy oils to make a truly bottomless refinery.
Discover how we are able to understand and anticipate your operational needs. With a history of over 60 years in gasification research and over 96 residue gasifiers in operation in China, Canada, Qatar and more worldwide.