Delivering bitumen solutions for long-lasting roads
Marine, rail and air transport links all play a vital role in the global economy, but road networks are arguably the most critical infrastructure for point-to-point connectivity. A comprehensive, well maintained and efficient road system is a vital enabler for economic development, and as such is one of the largest national infrastructure assets for many countries.
An industry under pressure
This growth in demand creates opportunities for the industry, but also represents a challenge in successful execution of road construction projects. Contractors, civil engineers and asset owners are all facing significant pressures and these include:
- Elevated traffic volumes, speeds and axle weights on all road types.
- Increasingly adverse climate conditions resulting in higher maintenance costs.
- The economic impact of disruptions leading to shorter maintenance windows.
- Stringent requirements around health, safety, social and environmental issues.
- Asset owners with restricted budgets needing long-lasting roads.
In addition to these pressures, any challenges on the supply of high-quality bitumen can further cause cost overruns, delays or even financial penalties for construction companies. Shell understands these issues and works with partners across the road construction industry to develop solutions that are designed to address the challenges of today and tomorrow.