Leading the way in innovation and efficiency
Between 2014 and 2017, Shell V-Power race fuel and Shell Helix Ultra race lubricant delivered over 20%of the total efficiency gain for Scuderia Ferrari’s power unit, helping the team cut their lap time by over half a second on the same amount of fuel.
Significant efficiency gains for Scuderia Ferrari in Formula 1
Title: Shell Motorsports Efficiency Animation
Duration: 1:02 minutes
A motorsports animation highlighting the 23.3% efficiency gain since 2014.
Shell V-Power race fuel and Helix Ultra race lubricant has provided 23.3% of Scuderia Ferrari’s power unit efficiency gain since the end of the 2014 season.
Shell Motorsports Efficiency Animation Transcript
[Background music plays]
Dramatic and dynamic music plays throughout the animation.
- Frame 1: A hot air balloon banner floats across a blue sky as the 2017 Scuderia Ferrari car comes into view. It reads:
- GO SCUDERIA FERRARI
- Frame 2: The following super appears as the car speeds along the track:
- SHELL V-POWER RACE FUEL AND HELIX RACE LUBRICANT
- Frame 4: As the car enters the pit lane for its pit stop, the following super appears. The 23.3% stat is emphasised.
- HAS PROVIDED 23.3% OF FERRARI’S POWER UNIT EFFICIENCY GAIN OF THE SCUDERIA FERRARI’S POWER UNIT
- Frame 5: Two 2017 SF cars power through a tricky bend alongside the following super:
- SINCE THE END OF THE 2014 SEASON
- Frame 6: super
- SO, HOW HAS THIS BEEN ACHIEVED?
- Frame 7: The cars level out to race next to each other. The Shell V-Power logo appears:
- <SHELL V-POWER> (LOGO)
- Frame 8: As they speed up the screen the following product benefit is highlighted:
- WITH HIGH OCTANE,
- Frame 9: We cut to one car racing up a bumpy road, which then resolves to a smooth road. This highlights the following product benefit:
- NEW FRICTION-REDUCING TECHNOLOGY
- Frame 12: As the car progresses down the road, a pop out shows the cleaning molecules taking effect on the engine. The super reads:
- AND CLEANING MOLECULES
- Frame 14: The Shell Helix Ultra logo appears:
- COMBINED WITH <SHELL HELIX ULTRA> (LOGO)
- Frame 15: As the car progresses down the road, a protective bubble appears around the car. The following super appears
- THAT PROVIDES SUPERIOR PROTECTION
- Frame 16: The protective bubble remains present. And the following supers appears:
- AGAINST ENGINE STRESS AND WEAR
- Frame 17: We cut to two cars on the track – they’re driving in parallel. The super reads:
- WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
- Frame 18: The resolve of the animation. The supers read:
- SCUDERIA FERRARI CAN GO OVER HALF A SECOND A LAP FASTER WITH THE SAME AMOUNT OF FUEL
- Frame 20: The animation finishes at the podium. Ferrari are first place and the super reads: HERE’S TO MORE SUCCESS ON THE TRACK
Then during the 2018 Formula 1® season, we raised the bar again, with 21% of Scuderia Ferrari 2018 Power Unit’s lap time gain delivered by Shell V-Power and Shell Helix Ultra. Little wonder, then, that our Innovation Partnership remains one of the longest running and most successful in motorsport history.
Guy Lovett, Shell Motorsport Innovation Manager, explains: “At Shell, we work tirelessly with Scuderia Ferrari designers and engineers over the winter and during each season, with 21,000 hours devoted to the Formula 1 products alone. To be able to put a figure on the year-to-year improvement of Shell’s contribution to Scuderia Ferrari is extremely rewarding and a true testament to the value of our Innovation Partnership. By comparing lap times at the end of the 2017 and 2018 seasons, we have been able quantify just how important the work that we do in collaboration with Scuderia Ferrari is to engine performance and efficiency throughout the entire season.”
“Our performance relies on all parts of the puzzle working together and, of course, the fuel and lubricants from Shell play their part. Stats like this show how their expertise contributes to give us an advantage on the track.” – Scuderia Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel
Mattia Binotto, Team Principal of Scuderia Ferrari said: “During a 21-race season where we can only use three engines per driver, the engines are required to perform under intense conditions. Thanks to the specialist work that takes place inside the Shell Track Lab over the race weekend, as well as at Maranello and the Shell Technology Centre in Hamburg, we are able to ensure that the performance, efficiency and reliability of our power unit is not compromised but enhanced all season long.”
More in Motorsports
Revisit one of the longest running partnerships in motorsport and learn about the remarkable moments and celebrated victories that have made this association so successful.