Shell and Scuderia Ferrari renew Innovation Partnership for the next chapter in motorsport
Feb 18, 2021
Maranello, Italy - Continuing to strive for success on the track while also supporting advancements in technology and sustainability, Shell has renewed its long-standing Innovation Partnership with Scuderia Ferrari.
The next exciting chapter in this partnership will see Scuderia Ferrari and Shell not only continuing to aim for success on the track through effective product development, but also, developing and implementing solutions that will support in reducing the team’s carbon footprint, helping them to achieve their broader sustainability targets.
These plans are in line with Formula One™’s first-ever sustainability strategy, setting the ambitious goal of having a net-zero carbon footprint, both on and off the track, by 2030.
Scuderia Ferrari and Shell will continue to work together to improve the team’s V6 turbo-hybrid power unit, which already has a thermal efficiency of close to 50%1, making it one of the most efficient engines in the world. The two companies will also work hand-in-hand to define how fuels can be developed for the future, including advanced sustainable biofuels and synthetic liquid fuels, both of which are being explored to help meet Formula One™’s goal of fully sustainable fuels in the Formula One™ car2 . These learnings and technologies, put to the test on the track, could eventually be used to reduce emissions from road transport.
The historic relationship between Shell and Scuderia Ferrari, which dates back to 1929, is one of the most successful and well-recognised in Formula One™ and has delivered significant successes in its long history, with Shell race fuels and lubricants powering Scuderia Ferrari to 10 Constructors’ titles and 12 Drivers’ Championship wins. Throughout this long collaboration, the learnings and innovations taken from the racetrack have been used to develop better products for Shell customers around the world.
Commenting on the renewal of the partnership, István Kapitány, Shell’s Global Executive Vice President for Mobility said, “Our partnership with Ferrari has bred truly remarkable innovations – innovations that Shell regularly relies upon when developing new fuels and lubricants for our customers. We’re now entering a very exciting time in our history together as we leverage this partnership to not only strive for success on the track, but also to develop cleaner fuels and lubricants for our customers.”
Mattia Binotto, Team Principal of Scuderia Ferrari commented “The relationship between Scuderia Ferrari and Shell dates back to 1929, the year our team was founded. In that time, we have produced so many victories together. We are delighted therefore that our collaboration is now set to go on even longer. We share many common values, not least excellence, passion for racing and teamwork, which have made this partnership unique in the history of motor sport. As our Innovation Partner we will continue to work with Shell on the transfer of racing technology to mobility as well as the ambitious challenges that lie ahead in particular the aim of Formula 1 to reach a net-zero emissions level by 2030.”
Notes to Editors
Shell’s investment in research and development in Formula One™ has one main purpose – to develop better fuels and lubricants for customers around the world, where innovations from the track are transferred to our road-going products. Throughout the Innovation Partnership with Scuderia Ferrari, Shell has been able to:
- Deliver consistent improvements: Since the introduction of the turbo-charged hybrid power unit in Formula One™, Shell has consistently developed performance and efficiency gains from Shell V-Power and Shell Helix Ultra race formulations, contributing up to 25% of Scuderia Ferrari’s Power Unit lap-time gain3.
- Enhance product innovations: In 2017, Shell and Scuderia Ferrari co-engineered the friction modifiers used in Shell’s DYNAFLEX Technology. That same year, they were then used in the new Shell V-Power Unleaded road fuels to reduce fuel system deposits in cars all around the world.
- Create new digitalized means of testing and development: In the last two years, advanced digital technology has been used in more than 500,000 fuel simulations to help maximise the performance and efficiency of Scuderia Ferrari’s power unit.
- Transfer learnings from track-to-road: The Shell V-Power race fuel used by Scuderia Ferrari contains 99% of the same types of compounds as Shell V-Power road fuels available to customers worldwide.
- 2021 performance contribution: Shell V-Power and Shell Helix Ultra race formulations are expected to deliver one tenth of a second per lap in 2021 for Scuderia Ferrari3.
1 Based on Formula One research: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.how-f1-technology-has-supercharged-the-world.6Gtk3hBxGyUGbNH0q8vDQK.html
2 Based on Formula One’s Sustainability Strategy: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.engine-freeze-for-2022-agreed-with-low-cost-sustainable-units-set-for-2025.3sO0b3CQbaiqBIOCoxcZUm.html
3 Power Unit lap time improvement calculated using a Ferrari proprietary model, Ferrari data and based on F1™ Power Unit dynamometer data.