Shell holds equity in 1 offshore block. This acregae offers a frontier exploration opportunity to apply advanced deep-water technical capabilities.
|Block||Shell||Woodside Energy||MPEP||Area Sq km||Approx. water depth m|
Note: Shell took over BG’s interest in blocks A-4, AD-2, A7 and AD-5 after the Shell/BG combination materialized on 15 February 2016
Figure 1 : Map of Shell’s offshore exploration acreage in Myanmar.
Max Energy and Shell end Retail Brand License Agreement
Max Energy and Shell have withdrawn their retail brand license agreement due to commercial reasons. The agreement was signed in 2017 and Shell has no branded retail presence in Myanmar to-date. This partnership had been mutually reviewed since 2018, due to economic and regulatory developments, related to the retail industry in Myanmar.
Shell is the number one global lubricant supplier (Kline & Company), delivering market-leading lubricants to consumers in over 100 countries. Shell Lubricants brings world-class technological insights to its products, offering our customers the best lubricant solutions for their applications – from road cars and heavy-duty trucks to manufacturing machinery, construction vehicles and more. Our lubricant products work to clean and protect the engine, help to prolong equipment life, improve performance and contribute to better fuel efficiency. In Myanmar, Shell Lubricant products are distributed by Que Holdings, our partner since April 2013.
Shell is a leader in bitumen technology and has more than 200 bitumen and asphalt related inventions. We operate our global bitumen R&D Centre in Bangalore, India, and a network of regional solution centres strategically located in China, France and Thailand. We are developing new technologies that create more durable, sustainable and energy-efficient roads and our pioneering innovations in coloured binders, low-temperature solutions, low-odour bitumen and underwater adhesives have set the industry standards for these applications.
Investing in communities where we operate – called social investment – is an important part of being a good neighbor. We invest in projects that aim to benefit local communities over the long term. Our social investment programmes in Myanmar have focused on the following topics:
Access to Energy
At Shell, we are able to use our core business skills and technical resources to play an active role in improving communities’ access to energy, particularly in countries where we work – such as Myanmar. Together with our NGO partner Pact, we expanded electricity access to rural and coastal communities in the dry zone and Tanintharyi region by building up community governance structures, consumer finance mechanisms and providing technical support. The programme provided access to sustainable energy for around 20,000 people and has improved the livelihoods of around 35,000 people since the start of the programme in 2015. Shell successfully exited the program in 2018.
Shell is a member of the Smart Power Myanmar initiative, a platform set up in 2018 with core funding from Rockefeller Foundation in collaboration with private sector power developers and development finance institutions. The platform helps unify and scale integrated electrification efforts in Myanmar.
Shell staff and contractors drive around 1.1 billion kilometres each year to deliver products to our customers or to keep our operations running. That’s equivalent to driving about 75 times around the world each day. We help keep our drivers safe through training programmes, by limiting their journeys, and by enforcing our global road safety standards. We also work with communities and global partners to improve road safety in the countries where we operate. In Myanmar, together with the Myanmar Red Cross Society (MRCS), Shell launched a road safety campaign in March 2017 to educate drivers and community members along the Yangon-Nay Pyi Taw Highway, a roadway notorious for its high crash rate. The program was completed in 2020.
Community Skills & Enterprise development
Shell has programmes in place to support and encourage the building of new businesses and generate local employment. In Myanmar, for example, together with our partner Montrose we implemented a programme to improve the livelihoods of a rural population through increasing farmers’ incomes with improved production practices, specifically in the coconut copra and groundnuts value chains.
Environment Protection & Water Resource Management
In support of TU Delft in The Netherlands and the Government of Myanmar’s efforts to establish an Integrated Water Resources Management Program (IWRM) to build government capacity in water management and flood control, Shell and TU Delft signed a 4-year agreement which commits both parties to the establishment of a Scholarship Trust. The PhD scholarship programme started in 2014 and supported two Myanmar students.
News and Press releases
Trading and Supply
- In Myanmar, Shell Trading continues to supply oil products such as gasoline and diesel to selected partners in Myanmar, to help meet Myanmar’s increasing demand for imported oil products.
- We have interests in 15 refineries worldwide, with the capacity to process a total of 2.5 million barrels of crude oil per day (Shell share). Our refining capacity is 42% in Europe and Africa, 41% in the Americas and 17% in Asia and Oceania.
- Through our main trading offices in London, Houston, Singapore, Dubai and Rotterdam, we trade crude oil, natural gas, LNG, electricity, refined products, chemical feedstocks and environmental products.
- Operating in around 30 countries, with more than 125 Shell and joint-venture terminals, we believe our supply and distribution infrastructure is well positioned to make deliveries around the world.
- Through its Shipping and Maritime business, Trading and Supply has an interest in around 2,000 Shell-associated vessels and other floating facilities on any given day, and manages one of the world’s largest fleets of LNG carriers. Shipping and Maritime enables the Shell Trading and Supply organisation to deliver safely on its contracts. This includes supplying feedstocks for our refineries and chemical plants, and finished products such as gasoline, diesel and aviation fuel to our Marketing businesses and customers.
- Shell Wholesale Commercial Fuels provides fuels for transport, industry and heating. Our range of products, from reliable main-grade fuels to premium products, is designed to provide tangible vehicle and business benefits.