We were one of the first energy companies to acknowledge the threat of climate change, to call for action by governments, our industry and energy users, and to take action ourselves.
Key SRI topics
We recognise that there are some areas of our business which invite a significant number of questions from our socially responsible investors. For convenience we have grouped the materials on these topics.
Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS)
Helping to advance technologies that capture CO2 and store it safely underground.
- Carbon capture and storage (CCS) projects
- Media release - Shell launches Quest carbon capture and storage project - 6 Nov 2015
- Presentation for Socially Responsible Investors in Calgary, Canada - 15 Sep 2015
- A technical introduction to carbon capture and storage
- Media release - Shell signs agreement to advance major clean energy project at Peterhead - 24 Feb 2014
- Media release - Shell to construct world's first oil sands carbon capture and storage (CCS) project - 05 Sep 2012
There is a significant amount of content available online relating to Shell’s operations in Nigeria. In particular, a series of briefing notes are published annually, with links below.
- Briefing notes on Nigeria
- Presentations for Socially Responsible Investors on Shell’s operation in Nigeria, October 10, 2012
- Shell’s latest response to the UNEP report on Ogoniland – 10 October 2011
- United Nations report on Nigeria oil spills - 4 August 2011
- Shell Nigeria website
The number of cars on the road is expected to triple by 2050. The world will need all the sustainable transport fuel options available to help meet this growing demand, with fewer CO2 emissions. We believe that blending these fuels with sustainable biofuels offers the best, commercially viable way to reduce CO2 emissions from road transport fuels over the next 20 years. In 2011 we established the Raizen joint venture with Cosan.
Our performance data
Tracking our performance against a range of environmental and social indicators helps us to focus our efforts to improve into the future. We participate in the Carbon Disclosure Project and are included in the FTSE4Good Index.
Standards and requirements
We have clear requirements for safety, environmental and social performance, based on our Business Principles and Code of Conduct. This includes a set of standards and manuals covering requirements for road and process safety, biodiversity, managing greenhouse gas emissions, and respecting the human rights of our neighbours as we work to provide security.
External voluntary initiatives
In addition to our own Shell Business Principles, our reporting is guided by the major external voluntary codes and principles that Shell supports.
We aim to have zero fatalities and to prevent accidents that put our people, neighbours and facilities at risk.
More in environmental and social
You may also be interested in
Share price information and charts, calculators, historical share prices, ticker and ISIN codes and the difference between A and B shares.
The 2015 Annual Report and Form 20-F, the 2015 Sustainability Report and the 2015 Investors’ Handbook are available for online reading and as PDF downloads.
Download the Shell Investor Relations & Media app for iPhone, iPad and Android smartphone and tablet to keep up to date.