Main content | back to top
Shell at a glance
Royal Dutch Shell is one of the largest and most diversified international investor in India's energy sector among all global integrated oil companies with nearly US$1 billion invested already. It is the only global major to have a fuel retail license in India. Besides being a major private sector supplier of crude, products, chemicals and technology to public/private sector oil companies, Shell also has key interests in lubricants, bitumen while operating an LNG receiving and re-gasification terminal, as well as a significant Technology center and a financial business services center.
India has been a focus country for investments from the global Shell Foundation, which has already spent over USD 18 million to date impacting more than 3.5 million people.
Our current business activities in India
- A state-of-the-art lube-oil blending plant at Taloja (outside Mumbai in western India) – considered to be among the finest lube-oil blending plants in Asia, manufacturing a range of branded lubricants focused on the automotive and industrial sector
- Two High Capacity Plants each 70,000 MTPA at Uluberia, West Bengal and Savli, Gujarat producing a range of Bitumen Specialty products such as Bitumen Emulsions, Crumb Rubber Modified Bitumen (CRMB) and Polymer Modified Bitumen (PMB)
- Only international company to be granted and actualise Government of India approval to retail fuel in India till date
- License for 2000 fuel retail stations
- Provides lubricants and related technical services to the shipping industry
- Joint venture between Shell and MRPL serving a network of 12 airports
- Technical Services Agreement with Reliance, CHT, and IOC
- Catalyst sales
- Major private sector supplier of crude, products and chemicals to public/private sector oil companies.
- Hazira LNG Private Limited (HLPL) – a JV with Total of France
- Capacity 3 MTPA ... and growing to 5 MTPA FID taken ... completion by April 2013
- Hazira Ports Private Limited (HPPL) - Bulk container port under development
- First two of 13 berths operational by end Q2 2012
- Bangalore center delivers high-end technical studies, projects, and services for Shell worldwide & India
- Third Shell Global Center for Technology, the other two being in Houston and Amsterdam
- Services span upstream, downstream chemicals, gas & Refinery ops, & lab for Downstream Ops
FINANCIAL BUSINESS SERVICE
- Chennai center provides a wide range of finance, accounting and other business or customer services to Shell operating companies globally
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- All Shell entities in India invest in community development as a part of their commitment to Sustainable Development.
- Shell aims that its business activities should contribute towards benefiting communities.
- Shell in India is active in the area of road safety.
- The Shell India contribution to mainstreaming the disability movement in India is widely recognized
- creating role models in this sector by means of the Shell Helen Keller Awards.
THE SHELL FOUNDATION in India - an independent UK based charity
- Has already committed resources across seven programmes worth USD 18 million
- Current Impact – more than 3.5 million people
- Programmes undertaken include household energy and health, energy access & sustainable livelihood programmes for poor communities.
- Breathing Space reduction in indoor air pollution through smokeless chulhas in Maharashtra and Bundelkhand
- Trading Up organic farming and fair trade label practice to build sustainable livelihoods in the Kutch district (Gujarat) Orissa
- Excelerate small medium enterprise program supporting barefoot entrepreneurs in energy and transport
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies. Our headquarters are in The Hague, the Netherlands, and our Chief Executive Officer is Peter Voser. The parent company of the Shell group is Royal Dutch Shell plc, which is incorporated in England and Wales.
Our strategy to generate profitable growth remains to drive forward with our investment programme, to deliver sustainable growth and provide competitive returns to shareholders, while helping to meet global energy demand in a responsible way.
In Upstream we focus on exploring for new oil and gas reserves and developing major projects where our technology and know-how adds value to the resource holders.
In Downstream our emphasis remains on sustained cash generation from our existing assets and selective investments in growth markets.
Our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people form the basis of the Shell General Business Principles.
Shell by numbers (figures for 2012):
+ 70 countries where we operate
~87,000 number of employees
50% of our production is natural gas
20.2 million tonnes of equity LNG sold during the year
3.3 million barrels of oil equivalent we produce every day
44,000 Shell service stations worldwide
30 + refineries and chemical plants we run
Upstream explores for and extracts crude oil and natural gas.
Downstream refines, supplies, trades and ships crude worldwide, manufactures and markets a range of products, and produces petrochemicals for industrial customers.
Projects & Technology manages delivery of Shell’s major projects and drives the research and innovation to create technology solutions.
Revenue: $467.2 billion
Income: $26.8 billion
Capital investment: $29.8 billion
Investment in research and development: $1.3 billion
Fast facts for sustainable development
- $2.2 billion spent on developing alternative energies, carbon capture and storage, and on CO2 R&D over the past five years.
- Around $14 billion spent on goods and services in 2012 from companies in countries with lower incomes.
- Around $149 million spent on voluntary social investments in 2012.