Main content | back to top
Shell at a glance
The energy we supply helps to support economic growth and development. At our operations we aim to address social concerns and work to benefit local communities, protecting our reputation as we do business. Human ingenuity and advanced technologies are vital to help meet future global energy demands. At Shell we recognise that no single company can develop all of these alone. We work closely with industry partners and experts outside our industry to spark new ideas and share knowledge that helps drive developments forward.
Our current business activities in India
- A state-of-the-art lube-oil blending plant at Taloja (outside Mumbai in western India) – considered to be among the finest lube-oil blending plants in Asia, manufacturing a range of branded lubricants focused on the automotive and industrial sector
- A High Capacity Plant of 70,000 MTPA at Uluberia, West Bengal producing a range of Bitumen Specialty products such as Bitumen Emulsions, Crumb Rubber Modified Bitumen (CRMB) and Polymer Modified Bitumen (PMB)
- Only international company to be granted and actualise Government of India approval to retail fuel in India till date
- License for 2000 fuel retail stations
- Provides lubricants and related technical services to the shipping industry
- Joint venture between Shell and MRPL serving a network of 12 airports
- Technical Services Agreement with Reliance, CHT, and IOC
- Catalyst sales
- Major private sector supplier of crude, products and chemicals to public/private sector oil companies.
Hazira LNG Pvt Ltd (HLPL): Joint Venture between Shell (74%) and Total (26%)
- Hazira LNG receiving and re-gasification terminal
- Capacity 5 million tonnes of LNG per annum
Hazira Ports Pvt Ltd. – (HPPL)
- Bulk container port operational since 2012
- Bangalore center delivers high-end technical studies, projects, and services for Shell worldwide & India
- Third Shell Global Center for Technology, the other two being in Houston and Amsterdam
- Services span upstream, downstream chemicals, gas & Refinery ops, & lab for Downstream Ops
FINANCIAL BUSINESS SERVICE
- Chennai center provides a wide range of finance, accounting and other business or customer services to Shell operating companies globally
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- All Shell entities in India invest in community development as a part of their commitment to Sustainable Development.
- Shell aims that its business activities should contribute towards benefiting communities.
- Shell in India is active in the area of road safety.
- The Shell India contribution to mainstreaming the disability movement in India is widely recognized
- creating role models in this sector by means of the Shell Helen Keller Awards.
THE SHELL FOUNDATION in India - an independent UK based charity
- Has already committed resources across seven programmes worth USD 18 million
- Current Impact – more than 3.5 million people
We now have several long-term strategic partners that serve large numbers of people across many countries and continents, addressing markedly different development challenges such as sustainable job creation, urban mobility, access to energy, clean cooking and sustainable supply chains.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemical companies. Our headquarters are in The Hague, the Netherlands, and our Chief Executive Officer is Ben van Beurden. The parent company of the Shell group is Royal Dutch Shell plc, which is incorporated in England and Wales.
Our strategy to generate profitable growth remains to drive forward with our investment programme, to deliver sustainable growth and provide competitive returns to shareholders, while helping to meet global energy demand in a responsible way.
In upstream we focus on exploring for new oil and gas reserves and developing mahor projects where our technology and know-how adds value to the resource holders.
In Downstream our emphasis remains on sustained cash generation from our existing assets and selective investments in growth markets.
Our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people form the basis of the Shell General Business Principles .
Shell by number (figures for 2012):
+70 countries where we operate
~87,000 number of employees
50% of our production is natural gas
20.2 million tonnes of equity LNG sold during the year
3.3 million barrels of oil equivalent we produce every day
44,000 Shell service stations worldwide
30+ refineries and chemical plants we run
Upstream explores for and extracts crude oil and natural gas.
Downstream refines, supplies, trades and ships crude worldwide, manufactures and markets a range of products, and produces petrochemicals for industrial customers.
Projects & Technology manages delivery of Shell's major projects and drives the research and innovation to create technology solutions.
Revenue: $451.2 billion
Income: $16.5 billion
Capital investment: $44 billion
Investment in research and development: $1.3 billion
Fast facts for sustainable development 2012
- $2.2 billion spent on developing alternative energies, carbon capture and storage, and on CO2 R&D over the past five years.
- Around $14 billion spent on goods and services in 2012 from companies in countries with lower incomes.
- Around $149 million spent on voluntary social invesments in 2012.