Main content | back to top
In world that is demanding more energy, Shell Sulphur Solutions is establishing sulphur as a positive asset contributing to a better world, by taking sulphur out where it does not add value, and adding it to where it does.
...taking sulphur out where it does not add value, and adding it back in where it does
As the world increasingly relies on unconventional energy supplies, Shell Sulphur Solutions is finding new uses for sulphur and making the most of the by-products of alternative energy excavations.
Sulphur is a valuable natural resource. Shell Sulphur Solutions is committed to finding more uses for sulphur, providing real energy solutions. Shell's sulphur enhanced products also have significant environmental benefits:
Shell Thiopave offers reduced greenhouse gas emissions compared to conventional asphalt because:
- Asphalt mix containing Shell Thiopave is manufactured and laid at 20 – 40°C lower than conventional hot mix asphalt. This saves energy and reduces the CO2 and Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) emissions associated with the hot mix and paving process.
There are clear indications that concrete products manufactured with Shell Thiocrete have a lower carbon footprint than those manufactured with Portland cement. With lower embodied carbon in concrete production, switching to Shell Thiocrete can therefore help specifiers meet their own environmental targets:
- Although Shell Thiocrete, together with aggregates, needs to be mixed at 135°C when making sulphur-enhanced concrete, this process uses less energy than conventional cold concrete mixing processes because it avoids the energy needed to heat limestone to 1450°C to manufacture Portland cement.
- The CO2 released when limestone is heated in the cement production process is avoided.
Shell Thiocrete also offers resource savings and enhanced recyclability compared to traditional concrete:
- Does not require water, removing the energy and infrastructure costs associated with water supply. This is of particular benefit in locations where fresh water is scarce and desalination is necessary.
- Initial tests show products can be recycled by simply reheating and remoulding with no significant loss of performance.
Shell Thiogro offers:
- Potential to increase global food supplies through increased crop
yield and quality
- Greenhouse gas benefits via enhanced plant growth
Shell Sulphur Solutions invests in Research & Development programmes that will extend the sulphur cycle.