Main content | back to top
Shell Argina And Advanced Oil Stress Management
Market and operational changes, and new engine designs are adding to the demands made on engine oils. That is why we created Shell Argina, which is proven to resist differing types of oil stress for reduced maintenance costs and increased engine reliability.
Shell's Solution for Managing Oil Stress
In medium-speed diesel engines, the oil is subjected to acid, thermal and asphaltene stresses. These oil-stress factors can shorten oil and engine component life, and lead to reduced reliability (Table 1).
Table 1: The Effects of Oil Stress
|BN Depletion||Ring Liner and Valve Wear||Piston Undercrown Deposits||Ring Grove Deposits||Viscosity Increase||Crankcase Fouling||Fuel Pump Sticking|
|Effect on your operation||Shortens Oil Life||Reduces reliability-shortens life of components||Shorten life of Piston Crowns||Reduces reliability: shortens life of rings and liners||Shortens Oil Life||Shortens Filter Life||Reduces reliability|
Our deep oil-stress understanding, which is based on 20 years of research, and the development of oil-stress management technology have resulted in Shell Argina products.
Reducing Your Operational Costs
Shell Argina oils have set the benchmark in managing oil stress for decades. The latest generation has significantly improved low- and high-temperature deposit resistance, high base number (BN) retention and resistance to viscosity increase.
Controlling costs by maximising oil durability and engine component life
Rising viscosity due to asphaltene stress or depleting BN due to acid stress can require partial or complete oil replacement. This can be costly and inconvenient. Shell Argina oils’ excellent viscosity control (figures 1 and 2) and BN retention (Figure 3) can help to reduce the amount of oil you use by up to 20% compared with competitors’ products, thereby controlling your oil costs. In addition, a more-durable, longer-lasting oil will protect engine components better, thereby helping to reduce maintenance costs.
Figure 1. The ability of Shell Argina X to handle asphaltene stress is seen in the slow viscosity rise during accelerated engine tests. After 400 hours, Shell Argina X and competitor’s oil A showed a viscosity increase of less than 20%, but more deposits were produced with oil A. Competitor’s oil B suffered a 29% viscosity increase.
Figure 2. In a field trial, Shell Argina X removed the need for regular partial oil replacement in a MAN B&W engine operating under severe asphaltene stress conditions.
Figure 3. Under accelerated engine test conditions, Shell Argina X and oil A took more than 300 hours to deplete from BN40 to BN20. Oil B fell to BN20 in only 232 hours. An oil’s BN depletes as harmful acids are neutralised. However, this depletion can be caused by secondary processes such as oxidation, which leaves the oil unable to protect against corrosion. Shell Argina X’s excellent BN retention helps to extend oil life, thereby reducing the need for partial oil replacement, and increase component life through longer corrosion protection.
Shell Argina oils are designed to manage differing effects of oil stress to reduce downtime, keep your engine cleaner and give longer oil and component life, thereby improving engine reliability. This delivers greater vessel reliability and helps to maximise commercial performance.
- Greater power to clean and protect. Clean engines are efficient engines. With their increased resistance to fuel oil contamination and physical thickening, Shell Argina oils form fewer deposits as a result of the thermal and asphaltene stresses in heavy-fuel engines.
- Better general engine cleanliness. Fewer crankcase and valve-deck deposits help to prolong filter life and reduce cleaning maintenance. A clean crankcase also indicates that the less visible engine parts are in good condition. Field trials have demonstrated the improved general engine cleanliness with Shell Argina oils, thanks to its increased resistance to oil stress, which results in fewer deposits.
- Improved piston cleanliness. In field trials, Shell Argina oils demonstrated visible improvements in ring belt cleanliness, which can help to prevent ring sticking, blow-by and liner damage.
Choose Shell Argina to enjoy Peace of Mind
Shell Argina oils are designed to cope with differing aspects of oil stress and have proven performance that can help to cut costs, increase reliability and, ultimately, along with our technical services and our port network give you greater peace of mind.
For effective overall oil stress management
Of the products we tested, only Shell Argina oils offered top performance against all oil stresses.
Approved by engine manufacturers
Shell Argina oils are approved by major engine manufacturers, including Caterpillar (MaK), MAN B&W and Wärtsilä.
Products for Medium Speed Engines
|40°C | 100°C|
|Shell Argina S 40||Lubricant for medium speed diesel engines operating on low sulphur blended fuels and low oil stress conditions||135 | 14||20||234||-18||909|
|Shell Argina T 30||Lubricant for highly rated, medium-speed diesel engines operating
on residue fuel under moderate oil stress conditions
|110 | 12||30||212||-18||918|
|Shell Argina T 40||Lubricant for highly rated, medium-speed diesel engines operating
on residue fuel under moderate oil stress conditions
|135 | 14||30||225||-18||921|
|Shell Argina X 40||Lubricant for highly rated, medium-speed diesel engines operating
on residue fuel under high oil stress conditions
|135 | 14||40||205||-18||916|
|Shell Argina XL 40||Lubricant for highly rated, medium-speed diesel engines operating
on residue fuel under very high oil stress conditions
|135 | 14||50||229||-18||921|
Optimise Your Operations with Technical Services
- Lubricant advice can help you to select the right lubricant grade to deal with the specific level of oil stress in your engine.
- Shell Rapid Lubricants Analysis is an oil condition monitoring service that helps your vessels to run smoothly by identifying potential oil or equipment failures before they become critical.
- Shell’s Oil Life Extension Tool offers more customised specific advice for optimising expenditure on trunk-piston-engine lubricant.