Main content | back to top
Shell chemicals companies are firmly committed to the management of the risks associated with our operations and products, to the delivery of continuous improvements in Health, Safety, Security and Environment performance and to advancing sustainable development.
As part of that commitment we also follow the principles of Responsible Care®.
In late 2009 the Shell Executive Committee approved revisions to the Shell Group Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Commitment and Policy. The changes reflect Shell’s consistent integrated approach to health, security, safety, the environment (HSSE) and social performance (SP). Shell first adopted an HSE Commitment and Policy in 1997.
Our commitment and policy reflects the integrated way we work across Shell in the areas of health, security, safety, the environment (HSSE) and social performance (SP). All Shell companies, contractors and joint ventures under our operational control must manage HSSE and SP in line with the commitment and policy.
In Shell we are committed to:
- pursue the goal of no harm to people
- protect the environment
- use material and energy efficiently to provide our products and services
- respect our neighbours and contribute to the societies in which we operate
- develop energy resources, products and services consistent with these aims
- publicly report on our performance
- play a leading role in promoting best practice in our industries
- manage HSSE & SP matters as any other critical business activity
- promote a culture in which all Shell employees share this commitment
In this way we aim to have an HSSE & SP performance we can be proud of, to earn the confidence of customers, shareholders and society at large, to be a good neighbour and to contribute to sustainable development.
Every Shell company:
- has a systematic approach to HSSE & SP management, designed to ensure compliance with the law and to achieve continuous performance improvement
- sets targets for improvement and measures, appraises and reports on performance
- requires contractors to manage HSSE & SP in line with this policy
- requires joint ventures under its operational control to apply this policy and uses its influence to promote it in its other ventures
- engages effectively with neighbours and impacted communities
- includes HSSE & SP performance in the appraisal of all staff and rewards accordingly
The companies in which Royal Dutch Shell plc directly and indirectly owns investments are separate entities. In this Policy the expression “Shell” is sometimes used for convenience where references are made to companies within the Shell group or to the group in general. Likewise, the words “we”, “us” and “our” are also used to refer to Shell companies in general or those who work for them. These expressions are also used where no useful purpose is served by identifying specific companies.