Main content | back to top
Shell joined the chemicals sector more than 80 years ago. Our strengths make us a major player in the petrochemicals industry and will support our future growth.
Strong heritage, scale and performance
Shell first entered the chemicals industry in 1929
- Over 80 years’ experience in the chemicals industry.
- More than 18 million tonnes of high-quality product sold in 2012, to over 1,000 customers.
- Earnings in 2012 of some $1.4 billion.
Putting safety first
We work with our contractors and customers to keep our products and operations safe
- Strong Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) performance systems in place, as part of good business practice.
- Focus on learning from past incidents and developing a strong safety culture in conjunction with our contractors and customers.
- Committed to Responsible Care®, an important driver of improved HSSE performance.
- Dedicated Product Stewardship team supporting the management
of product risks at all stages, from development to disposal.
World-scale assets in strategic locations
Our Geismar, Louisiana facility is a key point of supply for our customers in the Americas
- World-scale manufacturing plants, located close to major
- Key manufacturing sites in the US Gulf Coast, the
Netherlands, Singapore, Canada, UK, Germany, Saudi Arabia
- Reliable supply of high-quality products to customers.
Process technology advantages
A pilot plant in Singapore will produce diphenyl carbonate, a more sustainable solution for manufacturing polycarbonate
- Experience in processing a wide range of hydrocarbon feedstocks.
- Market-leading proprietary technologies, delivering products such as mono-ethylene glycol and higher olefins, with better yields, less energy usage and less waste.
- New technology development capability.
Part of an integrated company
Our ethylene plant in Singapore is co-located with Shell's refinery on Bukom Island
- Access to Shell markets and feedstocks.
- Co-location of operations, enabling sharing of expertise, infrastructure, operations and logistics.
- Help add value to major resource-holding partners’ hydrocarbons.