Main content | back to top
Shell Multiphalte is an industry leader for multigrade bitumens and has been used in roads since the 1980s. Shell Multiphalte has a track record both in asphalt and spray sealing and can help to contribute to enhancing the performance of both applications.
Shell Multiphalte grades are recognised as the leading solution to combat rutting and cracking.
Compared to conventional bitumens, Shell Multiphalte is designed to provide improved adhesion to prevent stone loss, greater resistance to rutting and bleeding at high road temperatures whilst still providing good fatigue performance and crack resistance at lower temperatures.
For the road engineer, road owner and ultimately the road user, Shell Multiphalte, with its better rutting resistance and more advanced structural properties compared to conventional grade bitumens, can help to:
- Minimise maintenance frequency
- Provide a longer service life
- Reduce whole of lifecycle costs
- Prolong surface ride ability.
Advantages of Shell Multiphalte over conventional sealing binders when used in sealing applications are:
- Improved adhesion properties that provide a surface with excellent aggregate retention
- Increased Penetration Index to combat bleeding of binder during service in hot conditions and to maintain flexibility at low temperatures
- Higher binder viscosity at application temperatures allowing higher application rates for better stone retention.
Advantages of Shell Multiphalte over conventional sealing binders when used in asphalt manufacture are:
- Increased fatigue and adhesion properties with improved rutting resistance
- Greater resistance to cracking caused by extreme variations in temperature.
Advantages of Shell Multiphalte over conventional binders used in asphalt manufacture are:
- Behaves as a high viscosity binder at higher temperatures and as a low viscosity binder at lower temperatures
- Has greater fatigue resistance and adhesion properties and provides a road surface with excellent rutting resistance in a wide variety of mix types.
- Has increased resistance to cracking caused by extreme variations in temperature.