Main content | back to top
Shell Low Temp Binders
Shell Low Temp Binders are designed to lower the mixing or laying temperature of asphalt compared to a conventional asphalt mixture. They are a ready-to-use solution for time and cost saving in road construction.
Shell quality solutions for low temperature asphalt
Asphalt laying operations are increasingly carried out during restricted working hours e.g. during the night, or under adverse weather conditions, bringing logistical difficulty and quality issues. Unforeseen delays may lead to longer transport or storage times on site that may impact the workability of the asphalt mixture. In addition, the heating of asphalt to high temperatures can lead to high energy costs and CO2 emissions. This has prompted Shell Bitumen to develop Shell Low Temp Binders.
Shell Low Temp Binders are designed to offer the following benefits, compared to other Shell bitumens without our Shell Low Temperature formula:
- production or laying of asphalt at lower temperatures without compromising quality;
- helps to obtain better workability compared to a hot mixture asphalt produced with a conventional Shell bitumen laid at the same temperature;
- helps to re-open a road to traffic quickly after completion of road works, thereby assisting in minimising traffic disruption to the public;
- supplied as a product meeting your local specification;
- supplied ready-to-use, usually requiring no modification to the asphalt production process and no special investment in plant equipment;
- offers a longer time window for transportation and/or storage than conventional Shell binders, if asphalt production takes place at conventional temperatures;
- helps to save energy, reduce CO2 emissions and reduce emissions and odours from hot asphalt during the asphalt manufacturing and laying process, if asphalt production takes place at lower temperatures instead of conventional temperatures; and
- helps to reduce the thermal ageing of the binder normally caused by the heat generated during the conventional asphalt production process.
Please contact your local Shell sales contact for the country specific availability