Main content | back to top
AeroShell Oil Sport PLUS 2
It's here! The first oil specifically developed for Light Sport, Very Light and Ultralight 2-stroke aircraft engines.
Operators of these types of engines rely on commercially available motorcycle oils. This may lead to issues, such as formulation changes, that follow the needs of the motorcycle market. These formulation changes can be made without notification to the aviation community, because motorcycle oils are not required to meet the same specification as aviation oils. Motorcycle oils also tend to have limited ability when dealing with the leaded fuels used in aviation – Avgas 100LL.
Our Lubricant Research Specialists, working in Shell Laboratories, both in Europe and the USA, have worked closely with major engine manufacturers. For the first time across the world, aviators will be able to obtain a true aviation 2-stroke engine oil specifically suited for Light Sport, Very Light and Ultralight aircraft.
2-stroke engines - Why Is The Oil Important?
In conventional 2-stroke engines there is no oil sump or pump to pass the oil through the crankcase and lubricate the moving parts. Instead, the oil is mixing with the fuel that is then drawn through the engine and crankcase prior to being burned in the combustion chamber. To prevent build up of deposits in the chamber, oil with a low ash content and a ‘cleaner burn’ is required.
These types of engines also commonly encounter intense operating conditions i.e. full power take off, cruise descent and idle conditions. Varying power outputs and higher operating temperatures demand a specific 2-stroke oil formulation which will also reduce the formation of deposits and protect against the 2-stroke engine’s inherent exposure to corrosion and potential ring sticking.
In the past, these types of engines have relied on general purpose 2-stroke oils originally developed for ground and marine based applications.
AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 2 is the first aviation quality oil that has been specifically developed for Light Sport, Very Light and Ultralight 2-stroke engines such as the ROTAX® air and water-cooled series engines.
AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 2 at a glance
- First oil specifically developed for Light Sport, Very Light and Ultralight 2-stroke aircraft engines
- High film and shear strength formulation specifically designed for strenuous operating conditions experienced by these types of aviation engines
- Promotes engine cleanliness – protects engine parts such as pistons, rings and exhaust ports from excessive or harmful deposits, such as coking
- Outstanding performance in regard to ring ‘sticking’
- Excellent ‘cleaner burn’ performance
- Helps to protect engine parts from corrosion during engine shutdown and storage
- Helps engine achieve better Time Before Overhaul (TBO)
- Suitable for use in oil injection and pre-mixed oil/fuel systems
- Protects highly stressed engine parts against scuffing and wear
- Tested and designed to be used in any climate
- Superior performance compared to standard synthetic 2-stroke products when used in an aviation application
- Advanced anti-rust and anti-wear package
- Dyed green for better monitoring of the oil and fuel blend
- Can be mixed with other mineral and synthetic 2-stroke oils previously used
Meets or exceeds highest international specifications
- API TC
- Fully approved – all ROTAX® 2-stroke series engines, ROTAX® Service Instruction SI-2ST-008.
- Selection of suitable operating fluids for ROTAX® 2-stroke UL engines (series).
Please consult Operator’s Handbook to confirm the correct fuel to oil mix ratio before use.
Do not use AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 2 in engines that are designed to use Ashless Dispersant aviation piston engine oils such as AeroShell W oils. This includes but is not limited to air-cooled Teledyne Continental Motors, Textron Lycoming, Jabiru and ROTAX® 4-stroke engines.