Main content | back to top
Shell Helix HX8 range
For Shell’s maximum performance
- Superior active cleansing technology - over four times more effective at removing sludge from dirty engines than a normal mineral oil.
- Long-term oxidation stability.
- Up to 35% more protection than other fully synthetic leading products tested.
- Low viscosity, rapid oil flow and low friction.
- Greater fuel efficiency and easier cold starting.
Helps clean and protect for Shell’s maximum performance
Shell Helix HX8 has been formulated with superior active cleansing technology. It works harder to protect than conventional motor oils by continuously preventing dirt and sludge build-up.
A fully synthetic engine oil, Shell Helix HX8 is specifically designed to provide better responsiveness and improved performance. This enables the engine to operate at its most efficient right up to the next oil change.
Shell's unique low-viscosity formulation has been developed to give extra fuel economy and engine protection for extended drain intervals.
Shell Helix tests
To clean and protect an engine, the oil must continue to perform until it is removed when the car is serviced. With some manufacturers recommending longer service intervals, an oil’s ability to stay fit is even more important. Throughout the oil’s life, it has to disperse more and more dirt – keeping it locked away and preventing it from being redeposited in the engine.
Our scientists perform a variety of tests that measure the ability of Shell Helix oils to resist breakdown and disperse dirt. We also test our competitors’ oils, so that we can benchmark our lubricants and demonstrate the benefits of using Shell Helix oils.
Why you should use Shell Helix HX8:
- High shear stability – maintains viscosity and stays in grade throughout the oil-change interval.
- Specially selected synthetic base oils – reduce the oil volatility and therefore the oil consumption and the need for top-up.
- Minimises vibration and engine noise – smoother, quieter drive.
Specifications and approvals
Because lubricants vary in quality, universal criteria are used to describe oil performance and usage. Shell Helix motor oils not only meet these increasingly demanding international specifications but usually surpass them. Shell Helix HX8 exceeds these specifications:
- API SM/CF
- ACEA A3/B3/B4
- BMW LL-01
- MB approval 229.5
- VW 502 00/505 00
- Renault RN0700, RN0710
Compared with a normal mineral oil (API SG/CD)