Main content | back to top
GameChanger step-by-step process
The first step in entering the GameChanger process is submission of a short description of your idea through our website. A selection panel formed by a group of full-time Shell professionals with diverse backgrounds in the energy industry carries out assessment of all proposals.
They assess the proposal at three different levels:
If you are an entrepreneur from outside Shell then, after the initial assesment of your idea, a member of the panel will contact you to allocate a Shell technical counterpart to you. This person will then be your “co-proponent” of the idea and help you through the screening process.
The Screening Panel consists of (any) two members of the GameChanger team. They will listen to the presentation of your idea and ask questions in order to obtain a complete understanding of your proposal. The GameChanger panelists will consider the merits of the proposal and within 48 hours decide if the idea could potentially mature into a GameChanger project. If this is the result, you will then be invited to prepare a more detailed presentation for the Extended Panel.
The Extended Panel consists of three members of the GameChanger team and at least three experts who are not members of the GameChanger team. This group will attend the presentation on your proposal and work plan. The panelists will ask questions and the experts will give opinions on the merits of the proposal. The GameChanger panel will then come to a decision on whether to go ahead and fund the development of the idea. We will strive to communicate this decision to you and the co-proponent within 48 hours.
If funding is awarded, it is often with a time span of 2-3 years. The inventor will then use the funds to develop the idea in accordance with an agreed plan. At agreed tollgates, progress and continuation are discussed with proponents and panel experts.
Our four criteria are:
- Novel – Is the idea fundamentally different and unproven?
- Valuable – Could the idea create substantial new value if it works?
- Doable – Is there a plan to prove the concept quickly and affordably?
- Relevant – Is the idea relevant to the future of energy?
The final step: Going to the market place
If proof-of-concept is reached successfully, GameChanger may also be able to help take the invention a further stage. There are three potential forward paths:
1. Proprietary -The idea is graduated into Shell’s internal R&D funnel or another Shell business for direct use by Shell.
2. Licensing -The idea is licensed to an existing technology provider other than Shell. This is usually applied when complementary capabilities are required to further develop and deploy the idea.
3. Venturing -A new company might be set up to bring the idea to commercial market.
In short, once an idea is considered a true GameChanger it will not be shelved and all options will be considered to ensure the GameChanger idea reaches the marketplace.
The journey to success starts with you submitting your idea .