Main content | back to top
Shell Eco-marathon Americas – Rules, Registration Info and Deadlines
Get the latest updates on the Chapter I and Chapter II rules, the Phase I and Phase II registration process and the deadlines for Shell Eco-marathon Americas.
The Shell Eco-marathon® Americas rules are comprised of Chapter I and Chapter II.
Every year, Shell organizes a competition open to high school and college students to design, build and test energy-efficient vehicles known as Shell Eco-marathon; and this competition is governed by the rules and regulations presented herein.
Participating teams can enter as follows:Categories:
- Prototype: Streamlined vehicles focused on maximizing fuel efficiency through innovative design elements, such as drag reduction.
- UrbanConcept: Focuses on more roadworthy fuel-efficient vehicles. Aimed at meeting the real-life needs of drivers, these vehicles are closer in appearance to the higher-mileage cars seen on roads today.
- High Schools (Participants need to provide additional documentation if they are minors).
- Technical Schools preparing students for vocational training certificates, and professional certificates or equivalent.
- Establishments of higher education awarding university-level diplomas, or student associations.
The following engine types and energy sources are permitted:Shell Eco-marathon engine types and energy sources
|Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)||Shell Regular 87 (US) Petrol / Gasoline; Shell Diesel; Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (Biodiesel); Ethanol E100 (95-99% Ethanol)|
|Electric mobility||Hydrogen, Battery Electric|
For 2013, please note that the official rules will merge the PV (photovoltaic) elements and Battery Electric into one category called Battery Electric, therefore there will be no solar category. Also, the PV panels must be an integral part of the vehicle bodies; details are outlined in the rules.
Shell Eco-marathon Chapter I Rules
The Shell Eco-marathon Chapter I Rules apply to all three regional events: Americas, Europe and Asia, and intentionally leave many design parameters, technologies and tactics unspecified in order to stimulate creativity and allow for a competition of novel ideas and solutions.
We strongly encourage all competitors to read the Official Rules thoroughly and completely. Although we have made every effort to highlight significant changes to last year's rules in Blue, some of the existing regulations are often overlooked, causing disappointment during the events.
Shell Eco-marathon Americas Chapter II Rules
Shell Eco-marathon Americas Chapter II rules outline specific details for the event taking place April 4-7, 2013 at Discovery Green Park in downtown Houston, Texas including:
- General Event Information
- Trophies, Prizes and Awards
- Miscellaneous Terms and Conditions
As with the Chapter I Official Rules, we strongly encourage all participants to read the Chapter II rules thoroughly and make sure you understand all the information and requirements.
The registration process for Shell Eco-marathon Americas consists of two phases: Phase I and Phase II. You will find the timing for each phase outlined below, as well as information regarding the steps each team must take throughout the registration process to ensure a complete and qualified team registration.
- Phase I: Opens September 4, 2012 - Closes December 15, 2012
- Phase II: Available to teams once their signed school release from liability form has been submitted and approved - Closes February 28, 2013
Phase I: Opens September 7, 2012 - Closes December 15, 2012
- Complete the mandatory required information in Phase I available on the Shell Eco-marathon Americas website. Phase I consists of team information, vehicle category and fuel class specifics, the school release from liability form and verification that your vehicle meets the dimension requirements outlined in the rules and regulations.
- Complete all information in English only.
- Upon completion of Phase I, each team will receive login details via email that can be used to edit Phase I information prior to the deadline.
- Download and print a copy of the Assumption of Risk, Waiver and Release from Liability Form and have it signed by your School, Institution or Educational Director.
- Scan and upload your signed form no later than December 15, 2012. If you are unable to upload your forms or have a slow internet connection, you may mail your forms to:
- Sports Dimensions
- 13792 E. Compark Blvd, Suite 160
- Englewood, CO 80112
- Attn: Shell Eco-marathon Americas
Please note: Incomplete applications or applications that are not completed in English will not be accepted.
Phase II: Closes February 28, 2013
Phase II: Available to teams once their signed school release from liability form has been submitted and approved - Closes February 28, 2013
- Login to the registration area on the Shell Eco-marathon Americas website using your team login details that you received after completing Phase I.
- Complete the team member details, sign the personal waivers, indicate lodging requirements, provide vehicle transportation details, upload technical schematics, provide copies of driver’s licenses for drivers and reserve drivers, apply for the optional off-track awards and provide travel stipend details. We will post the personal waiver to the website as soon as it’s available.
- Teams must complete Phase II by February 28, 2013.
As in the case of Phase I, only teams that fully and correctly complete Phase II in English will be accepted. Upon completion of Phase II, teams will receive Participant Handbooks with final event information, including schedules and logistics.
How to Complete Your Phase II Registration
Here are some helpful hints for completing your Phase II registration.
Mandatory fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be completed. Other fields are optional. Remember, the more information you include, the better chance we have to get an idea of your project.
Once you have completed all the fields in each section, don’t forget to click ‘submit’ before moving to the next section or the information will be lost and you’ll have to start again!
Tip: Clicking on the ‘Summary’ link at the top of the list of links on the right-hand side of the page will take you to a ‘Roadmap’ page where you can see at a glance which sections you have successfully completed and which still need to be filled in. The project details are green the first time you login because this section is optional to complete.
Submitting photos and technical drawings
We want you to upload photos and technical drawings of your engine, fuel supply and electrical circuitry designs as soon as possible. This, in combination with the written text that you provide, will help us ensure these critical vehicle components meet the requirements set out in the Global Chapter I Official Rules and the Americas Chapter II rules for Shell Eco-marathon Americas.
You should upload documents in PDF format only, with a maximum file size of 1MB. Both computer generated and neat and legible handmade drawings will be accepted. Examples of photos and technical drawings can be found in this helpful 'how to' document.
Don’t forget that you need to complete your Phase II registration by the 28th of February 2013. Please submit your technical drawings as soon as possible.
In addition, here are some helpful diagrams for the battery electric, hydrogen and internal combustion engine categories.