Main content | back to top
Shell Assessed Internships application process
An Assessed Internships is one of the two routes into Shell. View the different steps in the video or read about the 5 steps in the application process below.
- Create an account, or login via an existing account
- Next search for available opportunities by selecting the region and country of work location*
- Apply and upload the latest version of your CV/résumé
- Before submitting your application you will be asked to complete an online questionnaire
* When searching for opportunities please check you are eligible to work in the chosen country/location.
If successful during the application stage, you will receive an e-mail notification with instructions on how to complete the online assessment. There are two parts to the online assessment.
* NOTE: Each part must be completed and submitted within 7 working days before the links within the e-mails you receive expire.
Part 1: A series of competency-based questions
These will take approximately 20 minutes to complete and will not be timed. Once completed, you’ll receive an email notification with the outcome.
* NOTE: If you pass Part 1 of the online assessment you will receive an additional e-mail to notify that you have successfully completed Part 1 and this includes a link to begin Part 2 of the online assessment.
Part 2: Consists of two tasks: a decision-making and a problem-solving task: You will need to complete both tasks.
* NOTE: The decision-making task is not timed, but the problem-solving task is timed and you will have 18 minutes to complete it.
The decision-making task assesses how you respond to common situations that Shell graduates may face, and the problem-solving task assesses your capacity for solving numerical reasoning problems.
In total, part 2 of the online assessment should take approximately 45 minutes to complete.
Once you have submitted Part 2 of the online assessment we will review the results before contacting you to discuss a potential interview.
The interview will take place either face-to-face or over the telephone. This is an opportunity for you to tell us more about your motivations for applying, your achievements, the challenges you've faced and how you've demonstrated the qualities we're looking for.
Successfully passing your interview we will review what suitable opportunities there may be on our assessed internship.
An Assessed Internship will give you the opportunity to see what it’s like to work for a global company. You will be guided by a mentor and a supervisor: undertaking a formal mid-internship review as well as an online simulation exercise, a written task and a presentation about your project, before undergoing a final end-of-internship interview.
After completing your assessed internship, you could join our Graduate Programme where there are suitable places.
* NOTE: During the application and assessment process you will be assessed on the following criteria CAR:
How well you absorb information, analyse problems, make fact-based decisions, and propose innovative solutions.
How well you get things done (your drive, resilience, self-confidence, and organisational skills).
How well you work in teams, communicate,
and respect others.