Could latest-generation reactor internals unlock additional value for you?
The performance of hydroprocessing reactors is determined not only by the catalyst loaded but also by the design of their internals. Shell Global Solutions’ reactor internals technology uniformly distributes liquid and gas, minimises thermal mal-distribution, and maximises reactor catalyst inventory and utilisation. This is critical for applications with more-stringent product specifications, such as ultra-low-sulphur diesel production as well as for the safety and reliability in high reactive feed applications such as C4/C5 and Pygas hydrogenation in petrochemical plants.
Our anti-fouling trays reduce pressure drop build-up and maximise unit run length. Advanced fouling abatement technologies are of uttermost importance as the refining industry is processing increasingly difficult feedstocks.
Enhance your performance
Shell reactor internals can be used to help enhance your performance through:
- improved safety;
- shorter turnaround times and more days on stream;
- enhanced reliability, extended cycle lengths and costs within budget;
- increased capacity, processing of more difficult feeds, meeting tighter product specifications and increasing and/or modifying product yields; and
- improved return on investment in reactors and catalyst systems.
About the technology
Shell Global Solutions’ reactor internals have continuously advanced through the use of the organisation’s pressurised testing facilities and advanced computer simulations, and experience from Shell Group (“Shell”) and non-Shell refineries and petrochemical plants. The technology is applied to grass-roots units and for replacing lower-performing trays in revamps. To date, our reactor internals have over 25 years of operational experience and have been designed for over 500 applications, most of which have been for non-Shell customers.
Key characteristics and advantages include:
- minimum pressure drop;
- full integration with low interbed height, thus a small space requirement;
- no liquid-gas distributive packing required;
- a robust performance over a wide operating window, including a high tolerance to tray tilt; and
- a boltless, weldless and ergonomic design that facilitates quick installation, easy maintenance and a minimized turnaround time.
In addition, we provide our customers with tailored design and a range of support services that can include thermocouple advice, complete project management, tray delivery, and on-site installation advice.
What new Shell reactor internals could be worth to you as an operator
Despite the important role that reactor internals play, many refineries may be failing to capture the maximum value from their units. Some of the potential benefits of installing the latest-generation, state-of-the-art Shell reactor internals are quantified below.