Solvents: GTL fluids and solvents
Shell chemicals companies are leading global suppliers of GTL Fluids and Solvents - next-generation, high-purity paraffinic fluids based on innovative Gas-to-Liquids (GTL) technology. Their unique synthetic composition, with low aromatics content, may enhance performance over conventional solvents in many industrial processes and product formulations.
Our range of GTL Fluids and Solvents grades are sourced from the world-leading Pearl GTL plant in Qatar. The scale of the facility helps to ensure strong security of supply, while a global logistics network supports the fulfilment of orders in local markets.
By drawing on Shell’s extensive technology and product expertise, the GTL range has been developed to deliver the following performance characteristics:
- Reduced environmental impact: low aromatic and naphthenic content, designed to promote better biodegradability, lower ecotoxicity and lower photochemical reactivity. The latter is designed to result in very low ozone formation potential.
- High purity: synthesised from methane gas, GTL Fluids and Solvents comprise mostly iso and normal paraffins. They contain low amounts of impurities such as sulphur, olefins and polycyclic aromatics. They have a bright and clear appearance.
- Low odour: almost odourless, due to their low aromatic and naphthenic content.
- Synthetic: GTL technology and gas feedstock are designed to provide a more stable, synthetic product with consistent composition.
Many applications can benefit from the attractive properties of GTL Fluids & Solvents, including:
- Heating and lighter fluids
- Consumer products: aerosols, polishes, cleaners
- Crop protection products
- Concrete mould release agents
- Water treatment products
- Paints, coatings and inks
- Personal Care and Cosmetics
- Drilling muds
- Metal working
- Institutional cleaning products
- Aluminium rolling oils
- Process diluents
- Mining solvents
- Polymer extender oils
- Heat transfer fluids
Please contact Shell to learn about the specific benefits in each of these applications.