The company has a long heritage in the region, where it has contributed to the development of the industry through a number of its businesses, such as Aviation and Bitumen, supplying high quality fuels and lubricants, as well as providing bitumen solutions for airports such as in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Muscat.
Shell Aviation’s presence in the Middle East Aviation industry dates back to1962 (Oman) and in 1967, the company began supplying aviation fuel at Dubai airport. “Our work in this region is a great example of how we combine our global operational and technical expertise with local knowledge.
We have played a key role in regional aviation growth for the past 53 years, expanding our refuelling network to include more than 30 locations covering the Middle East, South Asia and South Africa. This success is underpinned by our strong collaborations, operational excellence and safety focus” said Anne Anderson, Vice President of Shell Aviation.
“With an estimated additional 237 million passengers expected a year by 20341, we look forward to many more years of supporting our customers in the region with the challenges of managing the increasing traffic” she added.
Another Shell business that makes an important contribution to this dynamic industry is Shell Bitumen, the world’s largest bitumen marketer. Shell Bitumen provides its solutions at over 100 airports and airfields around the world, including eight of the world’s top 10 busiest airports by international passenger traffic2. “We understand our airport customers’ challenges and work hard to ensure that they achieve their completion targets without compromising on surface quality, and most importantly, operational safety.
One such instance is our commissioning of an onsite polymer modified bitumen plant near Dubai International Airport, to ensure the timely delivery and completion of the repaving project, in just 3.5 months,” said Nick Chong, Vice President of Shell Bitumen.
With its position as a hub connecting the East and West, the Middle East has continued to lead global aviation growth in the first half of 2015, with double-digit growth year-on-year in both international passenger and air freight markets4.
Here are five ways Shell is supporting the continued growth of the industry and meeting the varied needs of aviation customers;
2Annual World Air Traffic Report 2014, Airports Council International
1. High quality products and strong supply chain to meet needs of a growing industry:Shell Aviation provides quality aviation fuels through its network of 17 Shell refineries and trading desks around the world. It also has an AeroShell lubricants distributor network with comprehensive coverage in the Middle East, enabling airlines and other operators to easily access its portfolio of high-quality engine oils, fluids and greases.
2. Technical expertise and tailored solutions to tackle different challenges: Shell Aviation’s Technical Services Agreements provide a suite of tools created to enhance safety and operating standards for airport customers, going beyond fuel supply to build the necessary competencies of the fuelling operators with training, inspection, fuel quality assistance and access to experts and industry best practice.
Safety and operational excellence are key priorities. In 2015, Shell Aviation celebrated 5 years of Goal Zero - a company-wide initiative targeting no harm to people and no leaks - at Dubai World Central Al Maktoum International Airport, where Shell is the lead operator for Into Plane activities.
3. World-class paving solutions for airport runways and taxiways, as well as road and parking structure surfaces. Shell’s bitumen technical experts also work with airport contractors to determine the most appropriate airport runway pavement design. Shell Cariphalte enables runways and taxiways to last longer and withstand the extreme pressures from aircrafts as large such as the 590,000kg Airbus A380. In 2014, it was used during Dubai International Airport’s runway rehabilitation project.
4. Waterproofing for airport terminals and airplane hangars: Shell Bitumen offers, in some markets, waterproofing solutions, marketed under the brand name Shell Flintkote, which is designed for use in applications like: metal, flat concrete and mastic asphalt roofs; and in blockwork and concrete structures.
5. World class technical know-how and R&D capability through a dedicated team of aviation scientists at a specialist aviation research facility, working on fuel quality, alternative fuels and lubricants. Shell also has highly trained technical experts providing local support to ensure on-site safety and efficient refueling.
Shell will be welcoming visitors at Stand #1320 at the Dubai Airshow between 8-12 November.
Notes to Editors
About Shell Aviation
- Shell Aviation is a leading global supplier of aviation fuels and lubricants with a heritage of over 100 years. We supply fuel at around 900 airports in approximately 40 countries, including nine of the world’s top 10 busiest airports by international passenger traffic.
- Our customers are airports and airlines, big and small, plus private customers such as corporate jet operators and flying clubs. We are active across the full value chain. We produce fuels and lubricants (in a range of grades); market, sell and distribute them; and offer further services that help our customers operate as efficiently as possible.
- Shell Aviation has a dedicated team of aviation scientists at a specialist aviation research facility within Shell Technology Centre Houston in Texas, USA. They can work closely with and draw on the expertise of other Shell scientists around the world that develop fuels and lubricants for other sectors.
- Shell Aviation has an end-to-end fuels quality assurance system, which includes fuel sampling and laboratory analysis at key stages of the supply chain, from the refinery to the aircraft. It conducts more than 400 safety audits every year at airport facilities across the world, as well as refresher training for operations staff once every three years, ensuring that aircraft receive fuel safely and efficiently.
- At Royal Dutch Shell and Shell Aviation we have a ‘Goal Zero’ policy, which means ‘No Harm to people and No Leaks to the environment’. This objective underlies the strong safety culture established within our business. All our site operators are required to complete HSSE (Health, Safety, Security and Environment) and Operational training modules appropriate to their roles and these modules are refreshed every three years. Consistently high HSSE performance is rewarded through an incentivized scheme and strengthened by audits, and trainings. Additionally, our airport operations teams (office and airport staff) across the globe are supported and encouraged to intervene if they see an unsafe situation or unsafe act and to formally report these without fear of consequence.
About Shell Bitumen
- Shell Bitumen is the world’s largest bitumen marketing business with over 1,600 customers in over 30 countries. Shell supplies around 12,000 tonnes of bitumen daily (4.38 million tonnes a year). It supplies enough bitumen to resurface around 450km of roads daily or one lane kilometre of road every four minutes.
- Shell manufactures bitumen in strategic locations around the world, including Germany, Netherlands, Singapore and the United States.
- Shell supplies a wide range of high quality bitumen products, from standard-grade bitumen to special polymer-modified bitumen (PMB), which are marketed under the brand name Shell Cariphalte, and can be used in applications such as highways, urban roads, including porous asphalts for sustainable urban drainage systems. It is also ideal for use in high stress and heavily trafficked locations such as airport runways, racetracks, roundabouts and bus lanes. It can also be particularly beneficial in high stress applications such as rail, ports, bridge decks, crack relief systems or overlaying concrete pavements and expansion joints.
- Shell Bitumen operates a dedicated bitumen research and development centre in Bangalore, India and regional solution centres in China, France and Thailand.
- Shell Bitumen offers a portfolio of bitumen solutions designed for use in a wide variety of applications, including airports, highways, city roads, heritage areas, etc.
Global External Communications Adviser, Shell Aviation
Tel: +44 20 7934 1696
Global External Communications Adviser, Shell Bitumen
Tel: + 65 9727 8960